Hair growing back on my legs makes me feel uncomfortable. I wanted to have my legs waxed so I looked for a waxing salon here in Singapore. And oh my goodness, a full leg wax costs at least SGD 60 (see Pink Parlour)! Since I’m unemployed (that’s why I’m not willing to pay SGD60) and the prices of waxing services are sky high and I don’t want to go back to shaving my legs again, I decided to just wax my own legs. At first I thought of just buying a waxing kit but they’re expensive as well. Then I remembered the wax that LayBare uses. They use cold wax and they don’t use waxing strips. I want to use something like that. So I did my research and found out that I can make my own sugaring paste using ingredients found at home. Yey! Here’s how:
1) Mix the following in a sauce pan
(by the way, I used a sauce pan that I bought from Daiso just in case I ruin the mixture. At least I can throw that sauce pan without regrets)
– 3 cups of sugar (some say it’s better to use white sugar. I used brown since that’s what I have in stock)
– 1/4 cup of lemon juice (instead of squeezing from real lemons, I just bought the one in a bottle. It’s cheaper and it takes less effort haha)
– 1/4 cup of water (tap water is fine)
2) Boil it using medium heat. Stir the mixture once in a while. I suggest that you use a wooden spoon. Don’t let it overflow!
3) Once it boils, turn the heat to low (applicable if using a thin sauce pan. Use a low-medium heat if you are using a thick sauce pan) and simmer for about 25 minutes (it’s tempting to taste it because of its sweeeeet smell. Yummy!). Turn off the heat when the mixture becomes a dark amber color like this one (I wasn’t able to take a picture of my work so I’m borrowing an image from another site).
How to test if the mixture is okay: Using your wooden spoon, drop a small amount of mixture on a lid of a container. Let it cool for a few minutes. Take that and try rolling it into a ball. If you were able to do that, the mixture is okay. If not, try heating the mixture in the pan for a few minutes more.
4) Let it cool for about 5 minutes before transferring the mixture in a plastic container. Be careful! It’s hot! Make sure that you transfer it in an airtight container. Allow a few hours for it to cool completely.
5) Viola! You may now use it :)
NOTE: Turn on your A/C before waxing. Why? Because the sugaring paste will melt and it will become too sticky on your warm skin.
I did not make my own video. So just follow this tutorial instead :)